Joining the Library Adults and Children
Who can join?
Anyone! Any age! All the family are welcome to join.
What services can I access?
Library membership allows you to use library services as follows:
Adult members can access all library collections, services and can use the internet*.
Young Adult (15-17)
Members aged 15-17 can access all library collections, DVDs up to 15 rating, and can use the internet*.
Young Adult (12-14)
Members aged 12 – 14 can access the children’s and young adult collections, DVDs up to a 12 rating, and can use children’s internet services.*
Children (under 12)
Members aged under 12 can access the children’s library, DVDs up to a PG rating, and children’s internet services.*
* Internet access is subject to the library’s internet access policy and may vary according to the library you are using – please check with your local library.
How much does it cost?
It is free to join, free to borrow and there is no charge for overdue books!
How do I join?
- Join in person at your local library.
- This is a quick and easy and will give you instant access to all library services with your new library card and PIN. Library staff will bring you through the whole process - there is no form filling! Just bring along photographic identification and proof of address.
- You can also complete online registration.
- Once you have completed the online registration you will receive a temporary library number and you can set up a library PIN. With your temporary library number and your PIN you have access to our Online Library Services straightaway.
- To finalise your registration and receive you library card, call into your local library with photographic identification and proof of address.
How can my child join?
You can join at any age but children and young people under the age of 18 must get the permission of a parent or guardian to join the library. Parents/guardians are responsible for their children in the library, and for their children’s selections and use of library materials and services, including access to the internet and online resources.
What type of identification do I need?
- Photographic identification - passport or driving licence.
- Proof of address - utility bill, bank statement or driving licence.
What can I borrow?
Members can borrow up to 12 items including DVDs and reserve up to 12 items. Members also have full access to all our Online Library Services.
How long can I keep borrowed items?
The loan period for all items is 3 weeks. You can renew your items for a further 3 weeks by contacting your local library or you can renew online through My Account. Note: If items held by you are requested by other members it may not be possible to renew.
How do I access my online account?
You have access to My Account anytime, anywhere. As a fully registered member, you can access My Account to view items currently on loan, change your personal details, renew your books and request items from our Catalogue.
You will need the 14 digit serial number from the back of your library card and a four digit pin number to access your account. A PIN will be issued with your membership card at the time you join the library. If you can't remember your PIN just ask a member of staff to help and you can be issued a new PIN.
What are the rules?
Please read Cavan County Library's Rules and Regulations. By joining Cavan Library Service you are agreeing to abide by all rules and regulations