A Place in Cavan
Use our Search facility to find or browse place names in Cavan
The ancient kingdom of Breifne extended from the north-west of the present county of Meath to Donegal Bay. West Breifne was ruled by the O’Rourke’s while east Breifne was under the O’Reilly rule with the river Grainne, now the Woodford River, being the boundary line separating East from West. Changes in 1584 by Lord Deputy Perrott and further changes in 1608 shaped the County as we know it today.
The smallest division of land used to help distinguish between different areas. Within the townlands are pinpointed locations of farms and other settlements. The size and shape of the townland are related to local topography and farming practises and usually reflect the land quality and density of settlements.
Within our county there are 36 civil parishes. This land division was used in most national surveys in the 19th Century. The parish is the smallest unit in the administrative structure used by both the Catholic Church & the Church of Ireland but differs from the civil parish structure. Click on the links to find out more ...
The Diocese of Kilmore
The Diocese of Meath
The Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois
The Kilmore Anglican Diocese
The Meath Anglican Diocese
Poor Law Union
The Poor Relief Act of 1838 divided Cavan into districts or "unions". It was invisaged that the local taxable inhabitants were to be financially responsible for all paupers in the area. In 1898 the Poor Law Union was adopted as the basic administrative division in place of the civil parish and barony.
Cavan is divided into 8 baronies. This county map illustrates the barony and its geographical location.